Budapest, March 19 (MTI) – Hungary’s consul in England is maintaining constant contact with the authorities in connection with the death of a Hungarian 16 year-old girl who fell ill while visiting a Berkshire agriculture college as part of a student group, the foreign ministry’s press chief said on Saturday.
The girl, known as Klaudia, was taken seriously ill on Tuesday evening, according to the ministry’s statement. Doctors said they suspected a serious virus caused her death, but the girl’s parents suspect ambulance staff of negligence.
The group of 11 pupils and three teachers from a school in Szombathely in western Hungary left for Berkshire last Sunday on a study trip.
When Klaudia fell ill with a fever and stomach cramps, her teachers called for an ambulance and talked to her parents by phone. At first the ambulance staff gave advice over the phone about how to treat her. When her state of health failed to improve her teachers again called the ambulance.
Ambulance staff arrived and examined the girl but said there was nothing especially wrong with her and suggested she rest. The teachers took her to their own bedrooms and kept supervision over her, but twenty minutes after the medics had left the teachers noticed she was no longer breathing. The teachers tried to resuscitate her and called the ambulance once more. When a doctor arrived, she was already dead.
Lajos Batyi, Klaudia’s father, told MTI’s London correspondent that he held the ambulance staff responsible for his daughter’s death. He said had they taken her to hospital in time then doctors would have been able to save her life. Batyi said he trusted the UK police would conduct a proper investigation and clarify the role of the ambulance staff.
He said students had reported the ambulance staff acting oddly. One pupil reported one of the ambulance people complaining that they had a lot of work, and, because the gate to the college had been closed, they had had to park far away and run through the grounds. When examining the girl, they told her not to panic and not to be hysterical.
Klaudia’s family is awaiting the result of a toxicology report.
Other pupils in the group arriving home to Hungary were urged to see their doctors. It turns out that several students were feeling ill, but not seriously. Two said they had coughs and stomach ache. It is unknown whether these symptoms had been caused by a virus or had another cause.